Are you up for the Challenge? RSPCA ACT are looking for businesses and individuals to get involved in the 5 Freedoms Challenge. We rely on the support of the Canberra community to continue to provide care for the thousands of animals that come through our doors. Not only will you be raising money for animals in need, you will be educating the community on animal welfare and the 5 freedoms to be considered for all creatures great and small.
The Five Freedoms was the first widely accepted evidence-based framework to capture the key aspects of animal welfare in one model. In 1993, the RSPCA adopted the Five Freedoms as they have played a crucial role in the consideration of animal welfare for more than 30 years.
What are the 5 Freedoms?
- Freedom from hunger and thirst: by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from discomfort: by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease: by prevention through rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to express normal behaviour: by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
What is the Challenge?
The 5 Freedoms Challenge is a week long event where you give up one of your own freedoms and raise both awareness and much needed funds for the animals in our care. You can give up any valued item! Here are some of our ideas:
- Mobile Phone
- Driving to work
- Your pillow or mattress
The Challenge will be from the 16th-20th of March. There will be a celebration and contests on the 20th of March here at the Shelter. You will get to meet some of the animals that you have helped, hear from team members and get to see behind the scenes of RSPCA ACT!
Any enquiries please contact email@example.com