Experience with dogs (have at least lived with one)
- Undertake grooming, handling, environmental enrichment activities and behaviour modification programs as directed by Behaviour Training Team.
- Provide individual attention to each dog, including handling;
- Sit in a kennel with a dog, working towards quiet and relaxed behaviour. Includes tasks such as handling, training and socialisation experiences;
- Undertake tasks to provide environmental enrichment for the Shelter dogs, including the management, maintenance, preparation, distribution, and if appropriate, the retrieval and cleaning of food puzzles and toys;
- Undertake grooming activities as required. This will include - bathing, drying, brushing, trimming fur, trimming nails, handling and gentling of dogs/puppies, and informing RSPCA ACT staff of the need to replenish grooming supplies.
- An initial training session of 2 hours is required before the commencement of any voluntary duties.
Dirtiness factor (on a scale of 1-10, 1 being a clean job and 10 being a dirty, horribly messy job):
No. 8 - You will be required to pick up dog droppings and will come across droppings in your other related cleaning duties.
- Possible exposure to infectious organisms, animal waste, allergens, chemical materials requiring OH&S Material Safety Data Sheets and potential hostile persons and / or vicious animals;
- It is recommended that all volunteers are up to date with their tetanus vaccination status before commencing their voluntary positions.
Potential volunteers please note:
- The RSPCA is an animal welfare organisation and not an animal activist organisation;
- RSPCA ACT has comprehensive policies and procedures in place to govern how we make decisions regarding the euthanasia of animals which present at our shelter. A committee involving many of our senior staff review the specifics and determining factors on a case by case basis. We consider that euthanasia is a final resort and should only be performed when absolutely necessary.
- All applicants for employment, paid or unpaid, may be subject to a police check and medical examination. Due to the requirements of our insurance policy, volunteers at RSPCA ACT must be aged between 16 and 80 years of age. RSPCA ACT reserves the right to refuse paid or unpaid employment to those who do not meet our age, security, or Occupational Health & Safety requirements.