Posted 28/02/2018 2:38:00pm
Organisation Type: Not for profit
RSPCA ACT is seeking candidates to fill three direct-appointed positions on our Board. The Board consists of six elected directors, and three appointed directors. Elected directors serve a two-year term, up to a maximum of three terms, and our appointed directors are appointed for one year renewable terms. These are voluntary positions. Our Board meets every second month, for 1-2 hours, with the Finance, Audit and Risk Sub-Committee meeting between Board meetings. Other sub-committees meet as required (Nominations, CEO Review). Our Board meetings are after hours (generally start at 6:30pm). All the director positions are volunteer.
The Board also holds a half day strategy day in late January, with the senior staff and CEO. This is normally done on a Sunday afternoon out at the shelter.
Outside of the Board meetings, and sub-committees, our directors support the organisation through attending some of our various fund-raising events. These include:
- In The Dog House
- Million Paws Walk
- Cupcake Day
- 12 Barks of Christmas
Directors also attend our volunteer and donor “thank you” events.
RSPCA ACT is a local member-based not-for-profit organisation focused on the prevention of cruelty to animals. The RSPCA ACT is primarily operational and includes an animal shelter, vet clinic and inspectorate, as well as running a number of advocacy and community fundraising events.
The Board is comprised of a group of talented Canberra professionals with experience in governance, law, technology and finance who are committed to supporting the RSPCA ACT to continue to deliver on its mission to prevent cruelty to animals.
Our priorities over the next few years are looking at our overall financial sustainability, and how we can commence a capital fund raising program to re-develop our facilities (starting with our veterinary facilities to increase surgical capacity). About 15% of our revenue comes from Government contracts (not sponsorship), about 40% donations and bequests (including fundraising), and the rest through our commercial activities. After a cycle of small deficits for several years followed by a small surplus every few years, recent changes have seen us able to achieve a surplus for the past three years.
What We are Seeking
To round out the experience of our existing Directors, and to support our long term strategy, RSPCA ACT is seeking candidates with experience and skills in the following areas:
- Philanthropy and major fund-raising, for our capital fund raising program
- Management accounting and organisational risk management, to support our Finance, Audit and Risk Committee
- Construction or real estate experience, to support our facilities redevelopment planning
We are looking for people who have expertise in one or more of the above areas and will bring passion, commitment and energy to the Board.
How to Apply
Please submit a one page pitch covering:
- Your skills and experience in one or more of the above listed areas (philanthropy/major fundraising, management consulting/organisational risk management, and construction/real estate) and how you would draw on them to contribute to the mission and priorities of the RSPCA ACT,
- Any experience you have on other boards or working with not-for-profit organisations and what you could offer to the RSPCA ACT board, and
- Why you are interested in joining the RSPCA ACT Board.
Please also submit a current CV, including two referees. Note: These positions are being re-advertised. Previous applicants will be automatically reconsidered.
0411 115 992