With Easter fast approaching, we are all anticipating the heavenly chocolate coma that awaits us. But for now, it’s time to talk about chocolate and your pets.
While some people may argue that they have given chocolate to their pet with no adverse effects; it is vital to note that like any food or medicine, the reaction to the toxin is dependent on the dosage and the circumstances.
For their health and safety, please completely restrict all access to chocolate and make sure this holiday isn’t one to forget.
RSPCA ACT CEO Michelle Robertson said “While chocolate can be delightfully delicious and we all wish we could share the experience with our beloved pet, it is extremely important to remember that chocolate can be poisonous and life threatening to animals.”
If your pet has ingested chocolate, we would urge you to consider contacting your local veterinarian as soon as possible for advice.
Symptoms of ingestion may include: restlessness, hyperactivity, nervousness, trembling, vomiting, diarrhoea, increased drinking and increased urination, increased heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures and possibly death.
It is also always important to think about guests that may be around during the holidays. It is not uncommon for small children to try and share their treats with pets.
“Animals are even less well equipped to deal with chocolate then we are! It’s not just the active theobromine that is bad news for pets. Pets just aren’t designed to digest high fat and high sugar meals, and a large dose of fat is a really big strain on them, especially their pancreas.” From RSPCA ACT Veterinarian Sarah Pilbeam.
She also added that “Chocolate wasn’t designed for dogs, and dogs weren’t designed for chocolate. Give them a treat that loves them back!”
This doesn’t mean that your pet has to miss out! There are a number of pet friendly treats available, or make your own with the whole family.
RSPCA ACT would like to wish everyone a safe and Happy Easter for 2019.